From: Bernadette Vallely
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2014 4:24 PM
Subject: NIH Updates
Just a reminder, as of January 25, 2014 the new version of the SF424 application package (Form-C) should now be used for the following programs:
- Individual National Research Service Awards (Fs)
- Individual Research Career Development Award Programs (Ks)
- Institutional Training and Career Development Programs (Ts) and Other Training Grants (Ds)
Highlights of the changes include:
- The PHS 398 Career Development Award Supplemental form has a new "Letters of Support from Collaborators, Contributors, and Consultants" attachment that will not be subject to a system-enforced page limit.
- The PHS 398 Training Subaward Budget Attachment form allows for up to 30 subaward budget attachments consistent with the R&R Subaward Budget Attachment form.
- Inclusion data now collected in new Planned Enrollment Report & Cumulative Inclusion Enrollment Report forms rather than attachments to existing PHS 398 Career Development Award Supplemental and PHS Fellowship Supplemental.
Additionally, the "Reference" form used with Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award Individual Fellowship applications for the submission of reference letters will no longer be required. Applicants can submit reference letters in whatever format they choose as long as the requested information is included.
Also note, the Funding Opportunity Number for the K-99s has changed as well, it is now PA-14-042. Changes in the program include:
- Candidates for the K99/R00 award must have no more than 4 years of postdoctoral research training experience at the time of the initial application or the subsequent resubmission. (Previously this was 5 years).
- Although the duration of postdoctoral training may vary across scientific disciplines, candidates must propose a plan for a substantive period of mentored training not to exceed 2 years.
- It is expected that K99 awardees will benefit from no less than 12 months of mentored research training and career development before transitioning to the independent, R00 phase of the program.
- Individuals who are close to achieving an independent faculty position, and cannot make a strong case for needing a minimum of 12 months of additional mentored training, are not ideal candidates for this award.
- If an applicant achieves independence prior to initiating the K99 phase, neither the K99 nor the R00 phase will be awarded.
Lastly, for those applications with Human Subjects, they can now be submitted System-to-System (S2S). Coeus now supports all the necessary attachments required for human subjects. There will be a User Group session in the near future, but if you need assistance with completing these forms in Coeus for a S2S submission, please contact Coeus Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As always, please contact your Contract Administrator with questions or concerns.