Restrictions On What You Can Take

When you leave the country, everything you take is an export, including devices, software, and data.

  • You cannot take ITAR-controlled articles, technical data, or software (which the ITAR considers to be technical data) without a license from the State Department. Tangible items developed through fundamental research which was excluded from export controls are still subject to the ITAR.
  • To be clear:  if you have ITAR-controlled technical data, such as a document or drawing, on your laptop, you cannot take it out of the US, even if you have no intent to transfer the items to a non-US person.
  • In most cases, US and non-US persons can take EAR-controlled items and software, including your laptop and PDA, using EAR license exception TMP or BAG can use the exceptions to take EAR items and software
  • US persons can use the exceptions to take EAR-controlled technology, but this does not authorize its transfer to someone not otherwise authorized to receive it.
  • To be clear:  these exceptions don’t authorize a non-US person to take EAR-controlled technology out of the US, even if it has been transferred to them as an acceptable deemed export
  • Continue to Using TMP or BAG exceptions for more detail on when you can use these exceptions, and for documents you can take with you to demonstrate compliance with the provisions of the exceptions.

Remember that destination countries have their own import and export controls (see Travel.State.Gov) which may affect how you can use items while there and which could restrict your ability to take them out of the destination country.  You should be familiar with any that apply to you.